Crystals and gemstones have been used for thousands of years for healing, protection, decoration, physical adornment, magic and in religious ceremonies. Crystals have been used since 4000 BC by Sumerians. In 1970 crystals came more known with “New Age movement”.
Crystal therapy, crystal healing or gem therapy is defined as the use of crystals, individually selected for their wavelengths and vibrations to influence the body+s energy field. Crystal healing is based on turning in to the natural vibrations of a mineral from the earth, which has infused it with its energies.
When it comes to crystals it usually means crystals, minerals and rocks. All crystals are minerals but not all minerals are crystals. Each crystal and mineral contains different geometric pattern that resonate at slightly different frequencies.
Ten Most Used Crystals
- Clear quartz which is “master healer”. Will amplify energy and thought, also effect to other crystals. Absorbs, stores, releases and regulates energy. Hardness: 7.
- Selenite. Named for Selene, Greek goddess of the Moon because of its moon-like glow. Brings mental clarity. Helps one to access angelic guidance. Quickly unblocks stagnant energy. Instills a deep peace. Wonderful protection stone. Hardness: 2.
- Amethyst. Helps overcome fears and cravings. Helps relieve headaches. Hardness: 7.
- Citrine. Also known lucky “Merchants Stone”. Increase self-esteem. Protects from the negative energy from someone else´s abuse. Opens the mind to new thoughts. Promotes clarity of thought. Excellent to calm and soothe distressed conditions. Hardness: 7.
- Aventurine (green). Stabilizing effect on the emotions. Hardness: 7.
- Carnelian. Energy booster. Helps the insecure person to find strength within. Hardness: 7.
- Lapis lazuli. Key to spiritual attainment. Protective stone senses psychic attack and resturns the energy to its source. High vibrational crystal. Hardness: 5.5.
- Rose quartz. Most important crystal for healing. Powerful high-vibrations stone. Releases unexpressed emotions and heartache. Hardness: 7.
- Smokey quartz. Grounding stone that transmutes negative energies and facilitates your ability to get things done. Makes more aware of sounds including telepathic sounds. Hardness: 7.
- Black tourmaline. Powerful healing effect. Stress reliever. Detoxify your body. Hardness: 7-7.5.
How to use Crystals and Gemstones?
- Wearing and carrying like jewelries, pocket stone (worry stone), palm stones.
- Crystal decor like crystal lamp, crystal candle holder, large decor like geodes and spheres.
- Crystal meditation, hold in both hands, visualize the highest White Light, selenite wands are great. I use these myself in meditation. You can use also selenite palm stones.
- Crystals on the body, place chosen crystal on the body according to chakra or what you want to heal.
- Crystal self-care like healing crystal baths, crystal facial rollers, GuaSha, massage wands and yoni eggs, which are for internal use. If you use yoni eggs be aware that hardness need to be at least 6.5 and only few gemstones are for internal use.
- Crystal elixirs & water, NOT to use directly to water but in outside bowl for elixirs and waters.
Different Crystal Formations
Here are different crystal formations:
- generator crystals
- abundance crystal
- transmitter crystals
- channeling crystals
- window crystals
- cluster crystal
- Herkimer Diamond crystal
- laser wand
- phantom crystal
- twin crystal also known as soulmate crystal
- wand crystal
- natural point
How to Cleanse Crystals and Gemstones?
It is good to cleanse your crystals and gemstones weekly if you use them a lot. Best way to cleanse them is with sound e.g. singing crystal pyramid or singing crystal bowl, or by smudging with white sage. Or place them in sun or moonlight for few hours to re-generate. You can use also visualization for cleansing.
Storing Your Crystals
Fragile stones can be easily damaged. Store raw and polished separately. Strong sunlight quickly fades colors.
Buy only from trustworthy seller. If you want to test if your gem is real you can try to polish it with nail polisher if color leaves it´s fake.
Mohs Scale for Hardness
- Talc (1): softest mineral, scratched by ever other mineral
- Gypsum (2): can be scratched with a fingernail
- Calcite (3): can be scratched by a sharp coin
- Fluorite (4): can be scratched with a penknife blade
- Apatite (5): can be scratched with difficulty using a steel point
- Feldspar (6): will easily scratch glass
- Quartz (7): will scratch most common surfaces
- Topaz (8): can scratch quartz
- Corundum (9): easily scratched topaz and quartz
- Diamond (10): the hardest natural substance
In one previous blog post I wrote about crystals for mood swings.
What is your favorite crystal or gemstone?
Health, Love & Light ♡
Key words; crystals, healing, holistic,