Internet addiction is real. When you start to think of it, you realize you cannot live without it. But you can. Most people have social media addiction. And even you don´t have addiction you spent lot of time with digital. Smartphones are always with us. Multitasking is destroying the brain. Attention span lowers. Human´s average attention span is only 8 seconds.
In numbers Internet addiction
- The average person checks their phone 200 times a day – that’s once every six and a half minutes
- 73% of Brits say they’d struggle to go a day without checking their phone or computer
- One in four people spend more time online than they do asleep
- 70% of 16-24-year-olds say they prefer texting to talking
- The average teenager sends 3,400 electronic messages a month from their bed
Digital detox = a period of time during which a person refrains from using electronic devices such as smartphones or computers, regarded as an opportunity to reduce stress or focus on social interaction in the physical world.
When you use social media think why you are using it? Are you looking for information, just for fun or for being bored?
How to start Digital Detox
- start to use airplane settings on your smartphone after work day or when you are reading, studying or doing something needs your focus
- leave your phone at home when going for a walk (listen the sound of nature) or grocery shopping (if not using paying apps)
- when you meet friends do not check your phone, give them your undivided attention
- when having a dinner with family phones are not allowed
- keep your phone out of your sight at home, you do not need to be available 24/7
- screen-off time 2 hrs before bed, no electrical devices in bed room
- keep one day a week when you do not use e.g. social media at all just phone calls
Benefits of Digital Detox
You suddenly notice after digital detox you have:
- more time to do what you really want to do like reading, yoga, meditation, journaling, writing, meeting friends etc.
- more thoughts to think what you really want to
- more calm no anxiety
- more silence
- more real contacts with people
- conscious presence
- less stress
- more sleep
- more relaxed
- more joy
- less stimulation, brain needs break from multitasking and stimuli
Positive side is you notice transformation in your life. Maybe you want to continue and keep one day a week without social media. Human needs external and internal silence to get connection to your authentic true-self.
One health tip, do not carry your smartphone close to your body due to EMF.
If you have any questions, comment below or send me a message.
Health, Love & Light ♡
Holistic Healing Therapist, Coach, Counsellor, Reiki Master
Key words; digital detox, health, holistic living,
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this blog is only for informational purposes and should not be considered to be healthcare advice or medical diagnosis, treatment or prescribing. You should consult with a healthcare professional before altering or discontinuing any current medications, treatment or care, starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem.
Sources: Telegraph UK
2 thoughts on “Benefits of Digital Detox”
I so need a digital detox! Two weeks ago I quit my full time job to become a full time freelance writer and I’m on my laptop or phone all day long. Maybe one day on the weekend I’ll just turn everything off, it sounds great.
LikeLiked by 1 person
It´s good to have one digital detox day a week. You feel great, relaxed and peaceful afterwards.