MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane) is organic form of sulfur. This compound is the third largest nutrient found in the human body after calcium and phosphorous. MSM is also an ingredient found in quite a few foods: meat, dairy products, as well as vegetables. Sulfur is found in over 150 different compounds within the human body. There are sulfur components in virtually every type of cell, so it’s extremely important.
MSM Improves Your Body’s Ability to Make its Own Antioxidants
Sulfur plays an important role in the production of glutathione—one of the most important antioxidants that your body produces. Glutathione also serves important functions for detoxification. Without sulfur, glutathione cannot work. So, while not an antioxidant by itself, part of MSM’s action is to improve your body’s ability to make its own antioxidants.
Sulfur also plays an important role in:
- Your body’s electron transport system, as part of iron/sulfur proteins in mitochondria, the energy factories of your cells
- Vitamin-B thiamine (B1) and biotin conversion, which in turn are essential for converting carbohydrates into energy
- Synthesizing important metabolic intermediates, such as glutathione
- Proper insulin function. The insulin molecule consists of two amino acid chains connected to each other by sulfur bridges, without which the insulin cannot perform its biological activity
Natural Energy Booster
MSM increases the permeability of cells. Owing to this increased permeability, these cells then need a lesser amount of energy to deal with the accumulated toxins. Moreover, due to the detoxification, it becomes easier for the body to absorb nutrients, which in turn reduces the amount of energy spent on digestion of your food.
Health Benefits of MSM:
- Treats osteoarthritis and joint pain
- Improves digestive problems like leaky gut syndrome
- Repairs skin and treats skin problems including rosacea, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, acne, dandruff
- Lowers muscle pain and muscle spasms
- Restores hair growth
- Helps the body adapt to stress
- Reduces overall stress levels
- Helpful in allergies and asthma
- Helpful maintaining a proper pH balance
- Helps balance your blood sugar level
MSM can be found
- Raw grass-fed milk
- Fresh vegetables, and
I use few times a week organic OptiMSM (Bergstrom Nutrition) powder mixed with water (500 ml) and lemon juice (1 tbsp). I started MSM with 1/2 tsp , raised the dosage slowly up to max 1 tbsp a day. Be sure that MSM you use is high quality.
Many people with autoimmune diseases get help for taking this. Also used for cancer patients with vitamin C.
If you are pregnant or under any medication, talk with your physician first before to take any supplements.
Health, Love & Peace ♡
You find me on Instagram @peacefulhealthwarrior, focused more on food.
Source: Dr Mercola, Food Mattes, Dr Axe
One thought on “What are health benefits of MSM?”