Bay laurel (Laurus nobilis, Lauraceae). Fresh or dried bay leaves are used in cooking for their distinctive flavor and fragrance. The leaves should be removed from the cooked food before eating. The leaves are often used to flavor soups, stews, braises and pâtés in Mediterranean cuisine and beans in Brazilian cuisine. The fresh leaves are very mild and do not develop their full flavor until several weeks after picking and drying.
Bay leaves, otherwise known as laurel leaves, are a household staple for many people when it comes to fighting pests such as mice and cockroaches. However, many don’t realize just how many other health benefits they possess, from relieving anxiety to fighting pain, improving respiratory conditions and even balancing blood sugar levels.
There are three components within bay leaves that help to provide us with the stress relief that we seek: Pinene, Cineol, and Linalool. These three power components are the key ingredients that help to relieve
You have probably already heard about burning bay leaves. But why to burn them?
1. Reduce anxiety. Bay leaves contain mycrene and eugenol. Both of these compounds possess great anti-inflammatory properties and are, in fact, used heavily in stress reduction therapy. When you burn a bay leaf, these compounds become airborne. Once inhaled, they will reduce any respiratory inflammation. This can work wonders if you suffer from allergies or have a bad cold.
2. Respiratory relief. The bay leaf contains a compound called linalool. Linalool decreases anxiety and enhances social interaction.
3. Wishes. Write wishes on bay leaves. When you burn them, you release your wish to the Universe.
How to burn bay leaves?
- You need; dried bay leaves, metal tray & lighter
- Close your door and windows to keep the aroma in the room
- Light up the leaves and place them on the metal tray
- Let them burn completely and dispose of the ashes after they have cooled down
Keep in mind that the smoke may set your smoke alarm off so you might want to burn the leaves away from the smoke detector.
I always have packages of bay leaves at home just in case if I want to burn them to reduce anxiety and send wishes to Universe. Mostly just burning one or two of them at a time.
Health, Love & Light ♡
You find me on Instagram @peacefulhealthwarrior, focused more on food.