Turmeric is the most powerful herb plant on the planet. It is ancient spice, used for centuries as both food and medicine. It has been used as medicinally over 4,500 year. Turmeric is of the ginger family. Three powerful nature´s antibiotics turmeric, ginger and garlic. Will write later about ginger and garlic.
Turmeric is great for our health. Turmeric contains curcumin, a phytochemical with anti-inflammatory properties. It´s great for anything in the body that´s inflamed and causing pain, from nerves to joints to the brain. Turmeric is the ultimate antidote. Turmeric is also used as an adaptogen based on Ayurveda. I will write also more about adaptogens later. Using turmeric together with black pepper doubles it´s effect, this is because black pepper contains piperine/bioperine (bioactive compund).
Turmeric is a holistic medicine with many health benefits like the followings:
- Boost immune system
- Lower cholesterol
- Anti cancer
- Prevent heart disease
- Prevent Alzheimer
- Arthritis (curcumin supplement)
- Chronic diseases
Turmeric is generally considered safe to use, but if you use any prescription medicines talk to your doctor first.
I like to use turmeric in my food, e.g. I always add turmeric powder to quinoa´s boiling water – it gets nice golden color to quinoa, to roasted veggies and to veggie soup. Turmeric is used commonly in Bangladeshi, Indian, Pakistani and Iranian cuisines. Normally I like to drink turmeric tea in winter time or “Golden Milk/Turmeric Latte” to prevent flu and keep my immune system strong. I haven´t had a flu in past year at all.
How you can use turmeric:
- Spice up your food. Add to any food you like to.
- Drink it as a tea. Add turmeric powder to your tea, or buy ready-to-make tea e.g. Pukka Herbs has Turmeric Gold Tea in market.
- Use a turmeric supplement. If you don´t like the taste of turmeric, you can always use turmeric supplement, thought there is a only few supplement available for vegans and without corn starch, which I try to avoid.
- Mix it with coconut oil for toothpaste to whiten your teeth. One teaspoonful coconut oil and pinch of turmeric powder, mix together and brush your teeth.
- Turmeric broth.
Recipe for Turmeric Latte:
Ingredients for 1 cup;
- 2 dl almond milk
- pinch of turmeric powder
- pinch of ginger
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of cardamom
- or 1 teaspoonful ready turmeric latte mix powder
- Mix all ingredients together to saucepan
- Slowly heat until almost boiling
- You can add for sweetener honey or coconut sugar if want to.
Love & health!